The Arizona State Competition of the National Civics Bee will take place Friday, May 3rd, 2024 at the Flinn Foundation.
Friday, May 3rd, 2024 | 9am – 2pm | Flinn Foundation
1802 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85004
STATE WIDE CIVICS COMPETITION FOR ARIZONA MIDDLE SCHOOLERS
With your support, we can empower even more of Arizona’s students to be informed, passionate citizens who are invested in strengthening their communities. Explore sponsorship opportunities and help us engage and educate Arizona youth.
How the competition works
Local chambers chosen to be partners in the National Civics Bee host a local civics bee competition that takes part in several phases:
- Local Essay Round — Students enter the local Bee of their choosing by submitting a 500-word essay regarding a problem facing their community – and ideas for helping to solve it. Entries will be accepted directly by each chamber between November 13, 2023, and February 19, 2024.
- Local Civics Bee Competitions — Local chambers will judge each essay and select twenty local finalists to compete live in a local Civics Bee Competition, which will determine the First, Second, and Third Place Winners of the local competition. The local Civics Bee Competition is a 90-minute, in-person event featuring two rounds of civics questions followed by a Q&A round with approximately three judges. Local Bees will be held between February 20 and April 30 of 2024.
- State Civics Bee Competition — The top three winners from each local competition will advance to compete live in the Arizona competition, which will take place on Friday, May 3rd, 2024. The state finalist with the highest cumulative score will be named the First Place Winner of the State Competition. There will also be a Second Place Winner and Third Place Winner.
- National Championship – The National Championship for the 2024 National Civics Bee will take place in the Fall of 2024 in Washington, D.C.
Who is eligible
- An Arizona student registered in grades 6, 7 or 8 at any public, private or home school institution at the time of entry is eligible for participation.
How to enter
- To enter, students should select one of the local chamber competitions in Arizona and follow the steps, rules and guidelines provided by the chamber to submit your entry. Please note: Students can only apply to one local chamber competition.
Submit your essay to a local competition
The following Chambers of Commerce are participating in the 2024 National Civics Bee:
Earn recognition and cash prizes
Finalists participating in each local bee as well as in the state competition for Maryland will be eligible for recognition and cash prizes.
Local Civics Bee Competition Prizes:
Each local finalist will receive a participation certificate. There will be one third place winner receiving a trophy and $125, one second place winner receiving a trophy and $250, and one first place winner receiving a trophy and $500.
Statewide Civics Bee Competition Prizes:
Each state finalist will receive a participation certificate. There will be one third place winner receiving a trophy and $500, one second place winner receiving a trophy and $750, and one first place winner receiving a trophy and $1,000.
National Competition Prizes:
Each national finalist will receive a participation certificate. There will be one third place winner receiving a trophy and at least $5,000, one second place winner receiving a trophy and at least $7,500, and one first place winner receiving a trophy and at least $10,000.
2024 STATEWIDE COMPETITION
Top finalists from each local bee
THE IMPORTANCE OF CIVICS
A healthy democracy relies upon well informed citizens
Are you interested in showcasing your company’s commitment to developing active and engaged citizens? For information about available corporate sponsorships, please contact Alison Bates: email@example.com
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Alison Bates: firstname.lastname@example.org